Skip page navigation

Twitter icon Facebook icon

IUPUI Office of International Affairs
902 W. New York St.,
ES 2126
Indianapolis, IN 46202 USA
Phone: (317) 274-7000
Fax: (317) 278-2213

Front Desk Hours
Monday - Friday,
9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Office of International Affairs Resources

Travel Checklist for Faculty and Staff

  • Provide contact information for how to reach you while you are abroad to the Office of International Affairs and your department.

  • Provide contact information to the Office of International Affairs and your department for a family member or friend who should be contacted should you become ill, etc. while abroad.

  • Confirm that you have a passport that will be valid for at least 6 months after your intended return to the US. If you need a new passport, information is available at:

  • Check to see if a visa is required for entry into your destination country(ies). Acquire any necessary visas. Information on entry requirements is available at:

  • Check the US Department of State Website for consular information sheets, public announcements, and travel warnings for the country(ies) to which you will be traveling:

  • Check the Centers for Disease Control recommendations for travel to your destination(s).

  • If there are recommended vaccinations for your destination(s), visit a travel clinic to explore vaccination options. The Office of International Affairs does not pay for travel medication and vaccinations.

    • IUPUI Travel Clinic in Coleman Hall-
    • St. Francis Medical Group Travel Clinic — 317-783-8009
  • Ensure that you have adequate insurance coverage for your time abroad. Insurance costs are paid by the individual traveler. The Office of International Affairs does not pay for international travel or medical insurance.

    • Medical Insurance that will cover the expenses of medical care provided outside of the United States
    • Medical Evacuation — This insurance will cover expenses related to transferring you to a facility for medical care should you become sick or injured.
    • Repatriation — This insurance will cover expenses related to returning your remains to your home country should you die while abroad.

    If you have purchased Personal Accident Insurance through Indiana University, you have coverage in the areas of medical evacuation and repatriation. This website will give you more information on this plan: You can only add this insurance to your benefit package during open enrollment so if you have not already enrolled, you cannot add this coverage at any other time of the year.

    If you need to purchase medical evacuation coverage for this trip there are many options. You may purchase HTH Worldwide medical insurance through the IUPUI Study Abroad Office if you are leading a study abroad program. The cost of this insurance is $9.00 for one month of coverage (7/1/2010 — 8/1/2010 = 1 month, 7/1/2010 — 8/2/2010 = 2 months) and includes both medical evacuation and repatriation coverage. Please contact the Study Abroad Office for more information at (317) 274-2081 or

    A couple additional insurance options are:

    Another type of insurance to consider is Trip Interruption or Cancellation Insurance — This insurance will cover expenses related to changes in your travel plans. A website that provides more information on this type of insurance is:

  • Consider having a health and dental check up before you travel.

  • Consider registering your travel plans with the US Embassy. This can facilitate US government assistance in case of an emergency:

  • Inform your bank and credit card companies that you will be traveling abroad if you intend to use your ATM/Debit or credit cards abroad. In an effort to curb fraud, banks and credit card companies may put a hold on your account if they notice unusual activities and suspect that your account has been compromised.

  • Make copies of the ID page of your passport and relevant visa pages. Leave a copy with a family member or friend in the US and take a copy with you which is kept separate from the original.

  • Check with the Business Manager of the department funding your travel for information on documentation required for reimbursement of travel expenses.